Can Dogs Really Help Protect Your Home?
March 7th, 2019
They say that a dog is man’s best friend. And while they clearly provide us with companionship and love, they can also help provide a layer of comfort and protection – in particular when you consider that dogs have been used as a kind of crime prevention for centuries.
It’s no secret that dogs can serve in protective roles, even when this isn’t their primary role in a Laredo home. But are they really a highly effective way of protecting your home? Or is it just a myth that they are worth considering as a theft deterrent?
The Numbers Don’t Lie
Sometimes, cold hard facts are the easiest way to get a clear picture of something. And when it comes to burglaries, the simple fact is that homeowners are the primary targets of thieves and burglars. Consider some of the hard numbers to see what we mean.
- 1.3 million burglaries occur in an average year
- 70% of those impact residential properties.
- About three homes are burglarized every single minute in the US.
What do these numbers mean? Essentially, you need to take steps to reduce your odds of being targeted by a burglar. And there are several different components that can be used to do just that. Taking the time to develop a solid strategy is important, and a dog could actually play a very real role in that.
What Do The Criminals Say?
Convicted burglars have been interviewed over the last few years by various news and research outlets. And almost all of them share the same ideas about what makes a home one that isn’t worth targeting. With that in mind, here’s a look at some of the main things that burglars say keeps them from choosing a home.
- Physical Barriers – Strong entry doors, locking windows, and even fences and gates around the perimeter of a home are all key points that can deter a burglar. They all make it harder for the robber to get in and out quickly, which will help deter them in a big way.
- Alarm Systems – If a burglar spots an alarm system, video cameras, or other similar security tools, it’s much more likely that they will find another home to target.
- Signs of Activity In The Home – Lights or televisions on or turning on and off are also big deterrents. Thieves see these as signs that someone is in the home, and will often avoid targeting it.
- Dogs – Yes, dogs are one of the most common things that stop a burglary from happening at all. The sight of a dog or even a ‘Beware of Dog” sign is often enough to stop a crime before it even begins.
The Bottom Line
The facts here are simple. A dog can indeed provide greater peace of mind and an extra layer of protection for your home. But it’s important to keep in mind the fact that additional security measures like alarm systems or cameras will only increase your security and keep your Laredo home safe from any threat that may target it.